Monday, October 12, 2009

Addict to Lux



Undeniably, I'm addicted to luxury hotels. I love the polished front line staff as they stand to attention when I arrive and the address of “Ms. or Mr." upon guests' arrival. Upon arrival, their world stops and I am the centre of the universe, the eyes-on-me attention seeking moment. I love luggage assistance: “may I offer assistance with your luggage Madam?” The primping and the pampering commences the journey to my luxury-seeking hotel stay.

I adore room service menus and fluffed bathrobes, and I get mushy when I see crisp, starched white linens and my own petite-sized toiletries in the bath. The essence of turndown service; someone pre-tucks me in and helps sends me to la-la-land.

I adore welcome amenities. I once stayed at a hotel that delivered a single shot of Bailey's Irish cream with two shortbread cookies, served on a beautifully bold white plate. Along side the plate, a refreshing bucket of ice and a turndown story card, notable of the hotel's history. As I poured my Bailey's over ice, I nibbled the buttery shortbread and read the hotel history. While pampering me in luxury, the hotel created subliminal brand loyalty. How could I ever stay at another hotel again? No one could ever offer me these indulgences, personalized touches or anticipate my needs in quite this manner.

Preparing and anticipating a guest’s arrival is the best planning any hotel can investigate time and money to, whether a budget, modest or luxury hotel. The challenges and tribulations guests face en route to their final destination is unpredictable and much unwelcomed. Downsizing and overbooking on airplanes results in lengthy check-in lines and disgruntled union airline workers. Bumped passengers are left with little resources and compensation for wasted productivity and disregard for personal obligations. Those who manage to board the flight, often find themselves jammed against other passengers in small, unwelcoming spaces with little hospitality, overpriced food and lack of comfortable services. Once you’ve arrived at your destination, the struggle to hail a taxicab begins and the cab driver rarely offers engaging hospitality. So when the guest’s feet hit the front entrance, hotels are often the last chance to offer a rebuttal to the day from hell. Afterall, you’ve paid for this experience and you want it to be the home away from home where you’ll lay your head and place your bum in the bed for the night. You’re not in the mood to put the boxing gloves back on and fight for the room you’ve booked. Once the arrival goes well, guests are more inclined to indulge in the hotel services to rejuvenate and disregard their travel experiences. This may include a meal or spa experience worthy of letting go of the purse strings.

No comments: