Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Gays of our Lives

Click here to see CNN’s Anderson Cooper’s coverage of the rejection of Maine’s same-sex union law today.

I have always felt blessed for everything I have in my life; good and bad. No matter how bad any situation is, I know that even the worst of situations WILL get better. There is a strong possibility it may get worst before it gets better; but things will always get better. I have been blessed with health, success, happiness, love and above all, the freedom to choose and make decisions impacting my life and my future.

Today upon hearing the rejection of a same-sex union law in the state of Maine, I felt very sad. Sad for those that live with persecution of not being entitled to a lifestyle they so desire. Who are we to judge and create laws contrary to everything we so desire for ourselves, and those around us? Who are we to restrict unions of love, respect and dignity? Who are we to create unlawfulness of consenting adults wishing to share a lifetime of partnership?

Having been blessed with a life of so many unique and beautiful opportunities and choices, I have been tremendously privileged to have traveled the world. While traveling the globe, it was with great admiration to which North Americans were revered as the epitome of liberation, innovative and freedom of speech. Yet as we witness the lack of freedom entitled to LGBT persons to whom they may not lawfully marry, it makes me distraught and sadden for the barbaric persecution we cast upon their lifestyle.

LGBT persons will live a long and prosperous life with or without the lawful right to marry. I am so very proud for the LGBT people in my life. Scientists, journalists, stage directors, chefs, and lawyers are just a few of the most successful LGBT people I adore and love in my circle of friends. Their contributions to society and community are invaluable and endless. Life is so very precious and too short for needless inhibitions and boundaries for which we may share our matrimonial vows. Love everyone. Love the Gays of our Lives.

No comments: